More People Are Renting Equipment to Improve Their Homes
(October 23, 2019) MOLINE, IL. — Nearly half of do-it-yourself homeowners expect to rely more on rental tools in the next year, according to a survey released by the American Rental Association.
“Rental Customer Needs
Study,” conducted by RSG,
an independent research firm for ARA, surveyed a sample of DIY homeowners across the
country. Results showed that 62 percent of DIY homeowners rented equipment for
a project and completed the job themselves in the past year. Of those who
rented, 48 percent expect to rent more in the year ahead.
reasons DIY homeowners rented included:
- They needed to use the item infrequently or only for a short time (54 percent)
- The item was needed for immediate use and they didn’t want to buy it (49 percent)
- The rental store location was convenient (40 percent)
- They could not afford to buy and own the item (27 percent)
information about rental and rental locations, 59 percent of respondents
visited rental stores in person; 52 percent conducted an internet search; 44
percent visited rental store websites; 40 percent talked to others; and 29
percent called rental stores.
deciding on a rental store to partner with, DIY homeowners said they consider:
- Location convenience
- Competitive rental costs
- Positive past experience
- Selection and availability of items
- Newness and condition of items
- Desired brand availability
- Store hours and pickup times
experience satisfaction was high among DIY homeowners. Seventy-four percent of
respondents said they are very satisfied; 24 percent said they are satisfied.